Sunday 16 January 2011

THE MALE GAZE - John Berger.


Been reading this as part of my dissertation, gaining more knowledge about the Male Gaze and how women are taught to self-regulate from a young age. They are very aware of being looked at and in turn are always making themselves look nice and want to look attractive at all time, being a 'sight'.

It also speaks of how the 'mirror' is now a symbol of a woman's vanity and this has lead me to think about the frames I will use within my work and brooches and also a possibility to involve them somehow in my final show.

I've found the old television series really useful and interesting to watch aswell...much like the book but nice to see something more visual! This particular clip is the part on the female nude within society...

No comments:

Post a Comment