Thursday 16 December 2010

Pyrography Pens...

I had discussed whilst I was making jewellery last year, that I loved the outcome of my jewellery, but also that it didn't feel like it was all my own work because although the designs are my illustrations, the laser cutter applies it to the wood and my illustration is key part in my practice.
Whilst I was at an art fair a few months ago, I came across a woman that used a pyrography pen onto wood to create images of trees and the line it applied to the wood was beautiful.
I'm in the process of buying a pyrography pen , which I then hope to practice with and hopefully produce some jewellery and work on a bigger scale.

A pyrography pen is a process of using a heated metal tip to engrave materials such as wood cork or leather, you prepare the object by using fine sand paper to sand down the surface, then making a drawing in pencil if you want. You then hold the tool like a pencil to create your design, changing the tips with pilers to get different effects. You are basically 'drawing with heat or fire'.

The Pen I've found below looks a good price and it also has many different tips to fit the pen and play with:


Fun fun fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment