Sunday 20 March 2011

Major Breakdown. FabricZ.

So this week I've had a breakdown in realising that I can't enjoy this project if I producing a zine, although I love the idea of creating chapters from a woman's life and turning them into little chapters of a book. It's not what I most enjoy doing and don't want to spend my last bout of creative freedom doing something I wont enjoy that much.

Visited Sheila Gaffney's exhibition called 'Material Memories' and read the report that went with it, which stated that in a study done by Maura Banim and Ali Guy, which was titled 'Why do women keep clothes they no longer wear?'. I thought that the concept was really interesting and it unravelled the fact that all women are so attached to clothes and their relationship with clothes is a very strong one. Women have clothes they no longer wear, but still they keep them, which seems for sentimental reasons.

With this in mind, I have been using ink on fabric and it looks really really lovely. Going to try all sorts of things on the fabrics in order to communicate loosely my subject of women and sub-conciously their relationship with fabrics and clothes. Below are a couple of the bit's i've started...Whether i will use them for anything in particular is another question...but for now they are pretty and i'm happy!

Stitching into this one was fun... gives the image more dynamics to it although the ink already sits lovely on the fabric...



No comments:

Post a Comment