Friday 11 March 2011

Mariel Clayton & Barbie.

Comments of the negative effect Barbie has on society. Which has been something I have written about in essays and really interests me. Objects which are thrust in front of children, young girls, women and females in general, all work to communicate ugly as bad and good as pretty. Her work questions the idea that the Barbie Doll is given to young girls by choice by their mothers.

Mariel's art features Barbie in myriad situations, such as bondage, sex, suicide and murder. I really like the attention to detail and the tiny bits which communicate so much. I hope to communicate this simplicity and attention to detail through my image making. Colour is also important in most of the work I aspire to and so developing my skill within the use of colour is important to me.

Mariel Clayton:
"Everything is so damn gynocentric, every woman is being told to “find herself’ and that she is “special” and “she can be everything she wants to be, damn anyone who tries to stand in her way.” To me that’s nothing more than a way to shirk personal responsibility. If something goes wrong, feminism says that it’s a man’s fault, that if you can’t get the job you want, it’s a man’s fault, if you aren’t being understood, it’s a man’s fault for not being more in touch with women’s feelings, if you are feeling overwhelmed, it’s a man’s fault for not offering to shoulder your burdens, but if he does offer, then he’s terribly insensitive and callous for assuming you can’t handle it". - Is this how feminism is shaping the world?





No comments:

Post a Comment