Friday 11 March 2011

Sarah Lucas.

Sarah Lucas' work is very provocative work. I really enjoy the messages that her work portrays and think the literal but hidden and subtle nature her work takes is something I want to achieve through putting together my illustrations and narrative of a woman's life.

The work that I find particularly interesting are the visual puns and sexual metaphors of sex and gender that she portrays - through photographs of herself and through little sculptures she puts together. She is described as employing 'bawdy humour' - 'dealing with sexual matters in a humorous way'. This is what I want to do within my illustrations, creating a real situation but making it humorous to ease the women who read it and reassure them.

Here she is seen communicating this idea of gender, she photographs herself as a man, challenging the male gaze, which unsettles men who look at the photograph.


Below: 'Chicken knickers'

No comments:

Post a Comment