Tuesday 15 March 2011

Raymond Lemstra.

Came across this guy whilst I was exploring the world of websites! He's pretty special! I love elements of his work, the pencil bits are beautiful and really well done. But I also love what he says about himself and how he describes the images he puts together.

'In childhood, one encounters and experiences many things for the first time. Through curiosity and imagination, these moments are lifted to almost magical heights. As you get older, new impressions become more scarce and it's a rare experience to be suprised by anything. I try to bring back the sense of wonder we remember from being a child, bridging the young and mature, by creating a contained fantasy world populated by my characters.

This contrast, between the naive and sophisticated, gives the work a somewhat awkward taste. A clash of intent, simultaniously assuming simplicity and complexity, randomness and reason, flaws and perfection. The purpose of which is to inspire a sense of joy and discovery'.

It's how I feel about the work I'm producing now and is important in the message I want to provoke from the audience I will have.

It's also given me inspiration for creating characters, as I need to put myself back into my 'childish' ways more and create things people have never seen before. Also it's the easiest way to create characters and then develop them....

Especially love the type in this image... I must start painting in colours and trying to re-create type like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment